Inducted on May 16, 2017 Nominated by: Murray Pearson
Les and Judith Waddell have been long time contributors and Founding Members of this Club, attending the very first meeting held in the Carp Community Hall where HCC was borne.
Judith and Les contributed in many ways to HCC. For example:
- Judith served on the Board, contributing 2 years each on Membership and Kitchen, as Vice president, as President and finally as Past President
- Les worked on the Ice Team for 5 years, helping make and maintain our ice and assisted with various events, including teaching Little Rocks along with Judith.
- Judith served as HCC’s LCA (Ladies Curling Association) and OVCA representative for 5 years, attending zone and OCA meetings around the province, and as HCC’s Zone representative to the OCA for 8 years, helping to organize OCA events
- while on the Board, Judith was instrumental in securing Trillium Grants for the roof replacement and Little Rocks stones
- they both helped organize the 25th Anniversary events and party, several mixed and ladies skips events and the Past President’s bonspiel
- she and Les led and taught Little Rocks for 3 years in mid 80’s and both helped deliver the “Learn to Curl” program to beginners
- Judith organized and managed the Wednesday Ladies and Monday Mixed curling leagues
- she introduced a rating system to promote curling and advancement opportunities and organized and taught the “Smart Serve” program
Les and Judith were both well known as goodwill ambassadors for HCC. Both curled in OCA Intermediate and Senior playdowns, winning Zones and Regionals. Les took many teams to the City of Ottawa spiel, and Judith the same to the Crystal Pebble Bonspiel (Judith’s name is on three trophies). They played in several OVCA and other mixed bonspiels in the Ottawa area, making many new friends (Les is the consummate story teller – it’s hard not to like the guy!)
Notably, both Les and Judith were very proud to invite Huntley members to competitions and friendly bonspiels. Looking back, they feel that apart from their significant and long-serving contributions to the Club, being ambassadors for the club was their greatest achievement and contribution. We all learned from their ongoing demonstration of team play and sportsmanship, and I am proud to nominate them as Honourary Members – an honour well deserved!
Past President: Lorne Rice
Past President: Cathy Shane
President: Lidia Cormier